Farm to fork often means regional produce like tomatoes and nuts. But did you know that Sacramento is the caviar capital of the U.S., producing 80 percent of the domestic supply from our area sturgeon farms? That means delicious, local and more affordable caviar for everyone – not just the rich and famous!
Caviar is often considered expensive. For that reason, many haven’t tried it. But times are changing as more chefs have discovered more affordable domestic caviar with a unique, delicious, buttery flavor. Chef Brad Cecchi from Canon restaurant in Sacramento describes it as “an umami bomb that’s craveable and keeps you wanting another bit.” Other chefs in Sacramento are doing really fun things with caviar in unexpected and approachable recipes from tacos and burgers to fries.
Come and taste what all the hype is about at the inaugural event! With National Caviar Day on Thursday, July 18th, the Celebrate Caviar events will showcase specials at over 20 restaurants and signature tastings, education and tours of local caviar farms.
Special Caviar Tastings + Events
- Thursday, July 18th 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. – National Caviar Day conversation and tasting at The Firehouse Restaurant with Jay Veregge and Mario Ortiz – Registration + Event Details
- Saturday, July 20th 1 p.m. – Complimentary Tsar Nicoulai Private Farm Tour with a Sturgeon Farm Expert + Optional VIP Champagne and Caviar Tasting –Registration + Event Details
- Saturday, July 20th 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. – Caviar Day Rage at Canon with Passmore Ranch. Music, Caviar, Booze. Tickets start at $75 and include caviar + champagne – Registration + Event Details
- Sunday, July 21st 11 a.m. – Caviar Brunch at Allora featuring Passmore Ranch, includes robust edible tablescape with four-course meal (including passed appetizers and Prosecco greeting). Only 40 spots available, $125 ++ per person, please call 916.538.6434 for reservations
- Scott’s Seafood on the River
- Kru Contemporary Japanese Cuisine
- Tiger Bar & Restaurant
- The Firehouse Restaurant
- Hook and Ladder Manufacturing Company
- Camden Spit & Larder
- Fat City Bar & Cafe
- Frank Fat’s
- Hawks Restaurant
- Hawks Provisions + Public House