If you’re headed to downtown L.A. to attend a conference, go to the Staples Center or visit the Grammy Museum, there are lots of dining choices nearby. Here are some of our favorites, grouped by type.
Craving a Steak
- Fleming’s Steak House is across from Staples and the convention center. This summer, they have a special Steaks of Summer three-course meal.
- Or head to the downtown Morton’s the Steakhouse, with a private dining room for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- It’s not solely vegetarian, but the Spanish-themed Barcito offers a quinoa-black bean burger and artichoke empanadas, as well as a Spanish tortilla with cashew romesco.
- Tender Greens has multiple L.A. locations, with one on W. 6th Street. Customize a falafel plate or try their vegan farro and green hummus salad.
- Yard House‘s downtown location, with hundreds of beers on tap and plenty of food to go with them. They’ve also got a gluten-sensitive menu and you can preorder for take-out.
- San Diego-based Karl Strauss Brewing Company has a tasting room on Wilshire Boulevard, where they serve their own award-winning beers. They have a weekend beer brunch and a wide-ranging offering of appetizers and sandwiches.
- Maria’s Italian Kitchen is a family-owned local chain with an airy patio and a dedicated kids’ menu. Adults will appreciate the lunch specials starting at $9.99.
- Another local family-owned chain is King Taco, which has a downtown L.A. location. Kids can always find something tasty at a taqueria, like cheesy quesadillas or bite-sized sopes. King Taco also does a lot of work with children’s charities in the area.
Dinner for Two
- Broken Spanish won an award this year from the Michelin Guide. This is Latino food with an elegant atmosphere and elevated presentations. Join them at their bar for happy-hour food and drink specials as well.
- Eve in the Mayfair Hotel gets its name from a Raymond Chandler mystery story. It mixes modern American food with traditional European influences. Scroll their gorgeous Instagram feed for a sense of their atmosphere.